- A Java 17 and Jakarta EE 9 baseline for Spring Framework 6
- JDK Mission Control Core libraries now available on Maven Central
- Java 17 and IntelliJ IDEA
- Java News Roundup: Roadmap for Spring 6.0 and Spring Boot 3.0, OpenJDK and Quarkus Updates
- Announcing Rust 1.55.0
- Microsoft Announces Azure Spring Cloud Enterprise in Preview
- AWS Introduces New Intelligent Tier Options for S3 and EFS
- Why and How to Upgrade to Java 16 or 17
- Test WebSocket APIs With Postman
- Calling a rust library with the Panama FFI
- Publishing Metrics from Spring Boot to Amazon CloudWatch
- Custom Serializers in Apache Kafka
- Java on Azure
- Swagger Implementation for Webflux functional programming model
- Rustacean Principles
- Faster Top Level Domain Name Extraction with Rust
- Rudroid – Writing the World’s worst Android Emulator in Rust
- Java Creator James Gosling Interview
- Technical Debt Isn’t Technical: What Companies Can Do to Reduce Technical Debt
- Ship / Show / Ask
- How WhatsApp is enabling end-to-end encrypted backups
- The Four Agile Values and Slack
- Enabling COVID-19 Exposure Notifications Across the United States on Azure
- Observability is key to the future of software (and your DevOps career)
- A friendly introduction to machine learning compilers and optimizers
- The Packaging Tool aka
jpackage– JEP Café #4
- Best FREE Rust Learning Resources
- Using Trait Objects in Rust
- Donald Knuth: Programming, Algorithms, Hard Problems & the Game of Life | Lex Fridman Podcast #219
- How to Make Slow Motion Videos With AI ! TimeLens Explained
Let’s go and review Java and Rust rising repositories on GitHub for August month. All information below was collected from GitHub trending page.
|Total stars: 2813||Last month stars: 1464||Growth: 52%|
About the project: the repository consists of the code samples, assignments, and the curriculum for the Community Classroom complete Data Structures & Algorithms Java bootcamp.
|Total stars: 768||Last month stars: 145||Growth: 19%|
About the project: this repository has code rewrites the light engine to fix lighting performance and lighting errors.
Flink CDC Connectors
|Total stars: 1045||Last month stars: 167||Growth: 16%|
About the project: Flink CDC Connectors is a set of source connectors for Apache Flink, ingesting changes from different databases using change data capture (CDC).
GDA(GJoy Dex Analyzer)
|Total stars: 2020||Last month stars: 254||Growth: 13%|
About the project: GDA, a new Dalvik bytecode decompiler, is implemented in C++, which has the advantages of faster analysis and lower memory&disk consumption and an stronger ability to decompiling the APK, DEX, ODEX, OAT files(supports JAR, CLASS and AAR files since 3.79).
|Total stars: 2281||Last month stars: 283||Growth: 12%|
About the project: ad free app for watching YouTube videos on Android TV boxes
|Total stars: 3543||Last month stars: 360||Growth: 10%|
About the project: Apache Pinot is a real-time distributed OLAP datastore, built to deliver scalable real-time analytics with low latency. It can ingest from batch data sources (such as Hadoop HDFS, Amazon S3, Azure ADLS, Google Cloud Storage) as well as stream data sources (such as Apache Kafka).
Shattered Pixel Dungeon
|Total stars: 1241||Last month stars: 126||Growth: 10%|
About the project: traditional roguelike game with pixel-art graphics and simple interface.
|Total stars: 549||Last month stars: 373||Growth: 68%|
About the project: protocol (built on top of Solana) and application framework for decentralized NFT minting, storefronts, and sales.
|Total stars: 1680||Last month stars: 944||Growth: 56%|
About the project: an ergonomic and modular web framework built with Tokio, Tower, and Hyper.
|Total stars: 4820||Last month stars: 1267||Growth: 26%|
About the project: egui is a simple, fast, and highly portable immediate mode GUI library for Rust.
|Total stars: 1021||Last month stars: 256||Growth: 25%|
About the project: DataFusion is an extensible query execution framework, written in Rust, that uses Apache Arrow as its in-memory format.
DataFusion supports both an SQL and a DataFrame API for building logical query plans as well as a query optimizer and execution engine capable of parallel execution against partitioned data sources (CSV and Parquet) using threads.
DataFusion also supports distributed query execution via the Ballista crate.
Solana Program Library
|Total stars: 479||Last month stars: 115||Growth: 24%|
About the project: the Solana Program Library (SPL) is a collection of on-chain programs targeting the Sealevel parallel runtime. These programs are tested against Solana’s implementation of Sealevel, solana-runtime, and deployed to its mainnet. As others implement Sealevel, we will graciously accept patches to ensure the programs here are portable across all implementations.
|Total stars: 1258||Last month stars: 300||Growth: 24%|
About the project: end-to-end encryption and mutual authentication for distributed applications.
- If you are starting to learn Java, DSA-Bootcamp-Java repository might be very useful for you.
- If you want to look inside of Jar archive and understand what is going inside there – take a look at GDA(GJoy Dex Analyzer) tool.
- One more member of the Apache foundation in GitHub starts this month – Apache Pinot.
- If you need a web framework for Rust I would recommend taking a look at Axum project.
- If you are looking for examples of Solana on-chain programs – Solana Program Library might be useful for you.
- If you are interested in Solana and NFT take a look at Mataplex project.
- Rust is clearly one of the leaders in crypto-space.
- Stack Overflow’s 2021 Developer Survey Uncovers New Trends in Tech and Work
- Microsoft Open-Sources GCToolkit to Tap into JVM GC Logs
- Java News Roundup: Generational ZGC, Kotlin 1.5.30, Jakarta EE 10 Release Plan, SpringOne Conference
- The full data set for the 2021 Developer Survey now available!
- Compare the Content of Two Files in Java
- Saving Time with Structured Logging
- Spring @EnableWebSecurity vs. @EnableGlobalMethodSecurity
- Resource Bundle Look-ups in Modular Java Applications
- Rust Option and Result
- Password auth in Rust, from scratch – Attacks and best practices
- Pitfalls and Patterns in Microservice Dependency Management
- Practical API Design at Netflix, Part 1: Using Protobuf FieldMask
- Streaming Real-Time Analytics with Redis, AWS Fargate, and Dash Framework
- Enabling Seamless Kafka Async Queuing with Consumer Proxy
- GraphQL at PayPal: An Adoption Story
- Pandemic lockdowns accelerated cloud migration by three to four years
- Jordan Harrod: Brain researcher and AI-focused YouTuber
- Sip Of Java: Streams Post Java 8 Updates
- Object Oriented Programming in Rust
- Strings in Rust FINALLY EXPLAINED!
- Crust of Rust: async/await
- Could the MCU Artificial Intelligences Really Exist?
- Manipulate Images With Text – An AI For Artists! StyleCLIP Explained
- Wojciech Zaremba: OpenAI Codex, GPT-3, Robotics, and the Future of AI | Lex Fridman Podcast #215
- Rodney Brooks: Robotics | Lex Fridman Podcast #217
- Java News Roundup: Micronaut 3.0, Open Liberty Starter, Spring Boot, GraalVM, and JEP 400
- Micronaut Framework 3 Released!
- AWS Announces the General Availability of Amazon MemoryDB for Redis
- Think Twice Whether You Need Hibernate
- Daily Rust: Iterators
- Pin, Unpin, and why Rust needs them
- End-to-End Encryption through Kafka
- Running complex project setups with Testcontainers
- The Hard Thing About Kubernetes; The Great Kubernetes Irony
- The 7 Undeniable Benefits of Implementing Automated Alerting
- Top 6 Time Wastes as a Software Engineer
- HTTP/2 in infrastructure: Ambry network stack refactoring
- The AI Revolution Is Happening Now
- No-Code ML Apps: Build Models in a Few Clicks
- Using Deep Learning to Better Detect Command Obfuscation
- 7 + 2 Things I Love About Java
- Sip Of Java: Scanner Tokenize
- Fast and Secure Inter-process Communication on JDK 16 – Inside Java Newscast #11
- Concurrency in Rust – Message Passing
- Concurrency in Rust – Sharing State
- OAuth: Past, Present, and Future | Developer Day 2021
- Introduction to OAuth and OpenID Connect | Developer Day 2021 Labs
- Protect Your APIs with OAuth | Developer Day 2021 Labs
- Kubernetes to the Cloud with Spring Boot and JHipster
- Webinar: The Future of Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
- Eclipse IDE Working Group Established to Ensure Continued Sustainability
- Java News Roundup: Project Loom, JDK Mission Control, Spring Data, Kotlin 1.5.30, Micronaut 3.0-RC1
- What are they building—and why? 6 questions for the top Java architects
- Rust SSH
- A fast port scanner in 100 lines of Rust
- Apache Kafka in the Gaming Industry: Use Cases + Architectures
- Software Testing in the World of Next-Gen Technologies
- “API vulnerabilities are not getting the needed level of attention”
- Moving from hyperscale to hyper-localized
- Migrating from Node Redis to Ioredis: a slightly bumpy but faster road
- Re-Imagining Espionage in the Era of Artificial Intelligence
- Switch Expressions – JEP Café #3
- Java Native Interface (28-Hour Course)
- Concurrency in Rust – Creating Threads
- Kafka, Devops…And Resilience for all by James Bowkett – GOTO 2021
- Successful Kubernetes Development Workflows by Ellen Körbes – GOTO 2021
- Will Github Copilot Replace Programmers? | Initial Impressions Review
- Transformers, explained: Understand the model behind GPT, BERT, and T5
- Joscha Bach: Nature of Reality, Dreams, and Consciousness | Lex Fridman Podcast #212
- Tesla’s Autopilot Explained | Tesla AI Day in 10 Minutes
- Tesla AI Day Highlights | Lex Fridman
- Introducing JDKMon: a New Tool to Detect and Update JDKs
- Java News Roundup: JDK 17 Initial RC, OpenJDK, Updates to Open Liberty, Hibernate ORM, Spring Cloud
- “I don’t have to worry about Garbage Collection” – Is it true?
- Slice Patterns
- Rust’s Vector
- Rust in Production: Qovery
- Modeling Saga as a State Machine
- How We Design Our APIs at Slack
- AI, ML and Data Engineering InfoQ Trends Report – August 2021
- 1 week with GitHub Copilot: Building an app using only Copilot
- Challenges and Opportunities to Dramatically Reduce the Cost of Uber’s Big Data
- Transforming PayPal’s AI Culture to Enable Intelligent Business Decisions
- 6 trends in data and artificial intelligence for 2021 and beyond
- JDK17 1st Release Candidate, finalize() deprecation, Value-based classes – Inside Java Newscast #10
- ULTIMATE Rust Lang Tutorial! – Smart Pointers Part 6
- “Basic Authentication” in Five Minutes
- Generate Images Following a Sketch – Make GANs Training Easier for Everyone | Sketch Your Own GAN
- Can GPT-3 Generate Good YouTube Video Ideas?
- Jeff Hawkins: The Thousand Brains Theory of Intelligence | Lex Fridman Podcast #208
- After 15 Years AWS Retires EC2-Classic
- Quarkus 2.0 Delivers Continuous Testing, CLI and Supports Minimal JDK 11
- Java News Roundup: IntelliJ IDEA 21.2, Quarkus 2.1, Micronaut 3.0.0-M5, WildFly, Payara Platform
- The 2021 Stack Overflow Developer Survey is here!
- What’s New in Java 16
- Introducing JfrUnit 1.0.0.Alpha1
- Validation with Spring Boot – the Complete Guide
- Spring Annotations Cheat Sheet
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Start Using Rust for Personal Projects
- What’s new in the Rust programming language
- 15k inserts/s with Rust and SQLite
- Deep Learning in Rust with GPU
- The Truly Hidden Gems of IntelliJ IDEA
- Turning Microservices Inside-Out
- How Uber Achieves Operational Excellence in the Data Quality Experience
- Open sourcing Winterfell: A STARK prover and verifier
- AMA About the Java Language
- Spring Tips: Better Data-Driven Applications with Spring Boot and Redis
- ULTIMATE Rust Lang Tutorial! – Smart Pointers Part 5
- Microservices Architecture Explained for Everyone | ACT-W
Today we are reviewing Java and Rust repositories on GitHub with the highest number of starts acquired in July month. All information below was collected from GitHub trending page.
|Total stars: 1070||Last month stars: 300||Growth: 28%|
About the project: A new shaders mod for Minecraft intended to be compatible with existing ShadersMod/Optifine shaders.
|Total stars: 3357||Last month stars: 820||Growth: 24%|
About the project: A community-driven, open source fork of Elasticsearch and Kibana following the licence change in early 2021. We’re looking to sustain (and evolve!) a search and analytics suite for the multitude of businesses who are dependent on the rights granted by the original, Apache v2.0 License.
|Total stars: 1275||Last month stars: 274||Growth: 21%|
About the project: A communitPojavLauncher is a Minecraft: Java Edition launcher for Android and iOS based on Boardwalk. This launcher can launch almost all available Minecraft versions (from rd-132211 to 21w08b (1.17) snapshot, including Combat Test versions).
Sodium (for Fabric)
|Total stars: 2271||Last month stars: 443||Growth: 20%|
About the project: Sodium is a free and open-source optimization mod for the Minecraft client that improves frame rates, reduces micro-stutter, and fixes graphical issues in Minecraft.
|Total stars: 627||Last month stars: 109||Growth: 17%|
About the project: Fabric mod for completely rewriting the Vanilla light engine.
|Total stars: 5032||Last month stars: 692||Growth: 14%|
About the project: Lightweight static analysis for many languages (17+ languages). Find bug variants with patterns that look like source code.
|Total stars: 2413||Last month stars: 276||Growth: 11%|
About the project: Shopizer is Java open source e-commerce software.
|Total stars: 195||Last month stars: 84||Growth: 43%|
About the project: A working demo of RustDesk server implementation.
|Total stars: 973||Last month stars: 255||Growth: 26%|
About the project: A Modern Real-Time Data Processing & Analytics DBMS with Cloud-Native Architecture, built to make the Data Cloud easy.
|Total stars: 2276||Last month stars: 203||Growth: 9%|
About the project: Safe and portable GPU abstraction in Rust, implementing WebGPU API.
|Total stars: 5452||Last month stars: 440||Growth: 8%|
About the project: Substrate is a next-generation framework for blockchain innovation.
|Total stars: 19040||Last month stars: 1341||Growth: 7%|
About the project: Tauri is a framework for building tiny, blazing fast binaries for all major desktop platforms. Developers can integrate any front-end framework that compiles to HTML, JS and CSS for building their user interface. The backend of the application is a rust-sourced binary with an API that the front-end can interact with.
|Total stars: 2072||Last month stars: 139||Growth: 7%|
About the project: A GPU-accelerated cross-platform terminal emulator and multiplexer written by @wez and implemented in Rust.
|Total stars: 1156||Last month stars: 66||Growth: 6%|
About the project: Graph Node is an open source Rust implementation that event sources the Ethereum blockchain to deterministically update a data store that can be queried via the GraphQL endpoint.
- July the same as June was a Minecraft month in Java, there are multiple repositories related to Minecraft included in the report.
- RustDesk still leading in Rust repositories by month growth and in the current month, this is a different repo with RustDesk demo server. I think the repository will continue gaining starts and we will see it in the August report as well.
- Rust is extremely popular for blockchain development and if we previously sow in reports Solana-related repositories in the current report there is one more player – Substrate. If you are interested in blockchain technology it is worth checking.
- I found the WGPU project very promising for the future which is actually implementing WebGPU API in Rust. Who is not familiar with WebGPU standard this is a standard to expose the capabilities of GPU hardware to the Web, which is promising for developing web and mobile multimedia applications and games.
- One more project I would explicitly mention is TAURI, allowing faster and secure development of cross-platform native applications for web, desktop, and mobile.
- Java News Roundup: MicroProfile 4.1, Spring Boot Updates, Kotlin, Scala, OpenJDK, Liberica JDK
- Is Java 17 a Glass Half Full?
- GraalVM 21.2 Improves Native Components
- Announcing Rust 1.54.0
- Significance of Getters and Setters in Java
- Guide to Java BigInteger
- Static Classes Versus the Singleton Pattern in Java
- Find Whether an IP Address Is in the Specified Range or Not in Java
- Writing Log Data to Syslog Using Log4j2
- 9 advantages of programming in Rust
- Rust: First Thoughts
- diceroller, a sample Rust project
- My Rust development workflow (after 2+ years)
- Ditching try…catch and null checks with Rust
- Dealing with Out-of-memory Conditions in Rust
- Solution Architect: What Do They Do? A Complete Guide
- GitHub’s Journey From Monolith to Microservices
- Will AGI Be a Friend or Foe?
- Is artificial intelligence ready for the great rehiring?
- Hundreds of AI tools have been built to catch covid. None of them helped.
- Announcing Oracle Java Management Service
- Random Numbers & JDK Flight Recorder – Inside Java Newscast #9
- False Sharing in Java
- ULTIMATE Rust Lang Tutorial! – Smart Pointers Part 4
- What’s New with AWS – Week of July 26, 2021 | Amazon Web Services
- How Apple Photos Recognizes People in Private Photos Using Machine Learning
- Ishan Misra: Self-Supervised Deep Learning in Computer Vision | Lex Fridman Podcast #206